From: Richard Every <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 9:53:36 AM EDT
Subject: NCS – Foul Play, In-Goal Positioning, Assistant Refereeing by RICHARD EVERY, HPRM, USA RUGBY on Apr 11, 2018
Please find the presentation PPT: HERE
The presentation video can be viewed: HERE
As we move into the “business end” of the season for the PRP, D1A and NCS College Playoffs, I would like to share some thoughts on a best practices approach:
- FOUL PLAY:
- We are not looking for foul play, and we most certainly are not on the hunt to YC the first opportunity in a game, “to settle matters” as some have stated. It is never something that has been communicated from management and is an approach that sets the foundation for an uneven performance.
- Do put the onus on players to play within the Law. It includes:
- Eliminating foul play by setting high standards and not debating.
- Finding a balance by managing players that are functioning in a high stress environment – always be respectful.
- The key for the referee is to slow down the bind-set. Be patient.
- Reward legal dominance.
- Keep backrows bound until the ball is out.
- There seems to be a trend to referee the breakdown less, rather than setting clear markers for players.
- At the breakdown, less leads to more inconsistency.
- Eliminate sealing, and hands on the ground beyond the ball (by both attack and defense). Often referees are debating materiality here, but if you eliminate it, it allows for quicker ball, and better contest when teams are vulnerable for turnovers.
- Manage the gap – bigger gap allows more room for the throw-in and results in structured lineouts and better maul formation.
- GENERAL PLAY:
- Quick Taps:
- When you delay a PK at the breakdown, it allows an ideal opportunity for a quick tap – so be aware of it.
- Be sure you have an understanding with the scrumhalves before the game that the mark is in the region of the infringement, not where you are standing.
- Awareness that a quick tap may be taken will assist you in facilitating it to support quick play.
- Please, manage players in front of the kicker, in general play, and restarts.
- Quick Taps: